I woke up this morning with absolutely no intention of doing anything but watching television and maybe some housework. Scrolling through twitter I saw everyone posting their scrumptious Easter Recipes and felt like I was missing out a little. I ran to the kitchen and stared at my empty cupboards. What did I have to work with? Half a bag of caster sugar, left-over flour and butter freshly bought for my hot cross buns. Oh… and those Smartie Easter Eggs I may or may not have been snacking on for breakfast. Luckily this is exactly what I needed to make my Easter Shortbread Recipe!
To make this Easter Shortbread Recipe you will need:
50g Caster Sugar
170g Plain Flour
Smarties Mini Eggs!
1. Preheat your oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Beat your butter and sugar together until you have a smooth mixture.
3. Slowly stir in your flour until it’s all stuck together. If your mixture is a little crumbly add a small bit of butter to help it stick.
4. Roll it out onto a baking tray until it’s about 1cm thick, sprinkle some caster sugar over the top and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Whilst the mixture is in the fridge time to get your eggs ready! (Try not to eat too many in the process.) Pop some of the Smarties Mini Eggs in a sandwich bag and use your rolling pin to carefully smush them! (Please be careful of your fingers!)
6. Take your shortbread out of the fridge and push your eggs into the top of the shortbread. I sprinkled the broken shells on top to give it a little more colour!
7. Put your shortbread into the oven for about 15 minutes or until they start to brown.
8. Once your easter shortbread is out of the oven leave to cool and then cut into squares or fingers.
9. Take a photo of your shortbread (possibly featuring a cute little chick) and tag me on Instagram!
10. Eat and enjoy!
How do you like my Easter Shortbread Recipe? It’s so easy and perfect for when you have all those left over ingredients in your cupboard!
What treats are you making this Easter?